Tuesday 12 February 2013

Evaluate how your research and planning informed your productions

Research and planning are two vital steps needed in making producrions such as movies and technology etc. For my foundation and advanced portfolio's, research and planning were the two main things i had to do to complete before starting to produce my products.

One piece of research i carried out was into genre. As my thriller opening was a crime thriller genre, i researched typical conventions and characteristics of a crime thriller. Rsearching into the conventions of a crime thriller helped in contributing to my product as i knew what i had to include, for example: an antagonist and protagonist, a suspense and tension filled soundtrack, fast paced editing and dark-gloomy mise - en scene. I wasted no time in searching for a sutiable soundtrack as i knew that it had to create suspense and tension. I think that he research i did into the genre really informed my product.


Secondly, i researched into my target audiecne which enabled me to know what they expect to see in a crime thriller. My target age group was people aged between 18-28, on asking random people within the age boundary i was able to retrieve things to include in my opening. For example, the thing that my audience most wanted to see in a crime thriller was suspense. Knowing this made a huge difference because i knew that for my audience to enjoy it i had to include alot of suspense. Taking this into account, i manipulated the soundtrack to create nore suspense and also used parrelel editing between the police officer and the villain. Taking everything on board, reasearch really informed my product.


At A2, i created a music video. The genre of this video was indie rock. When talking about planning, i had to do alot of pre-production planning in order for the process to run smoothly and make my product successful. One example of this is a stroyboard. I created a stroryboard of illustrated pictures and shots of exactly everyshot i wanted to do in chronological order. This helped me out as when the time came to film i was well prepared as in where to position my camera/artist and what type of shot i was i.e long/tracking. I think this planning stage helped towards my final product.


Additionally, i had bee given feedback from my audience whist my work is in progress. Again this helped me as for example, if had not included a shot/ effect that my audience wanted, i could easily put in exactly what they wanted. Its good that i new this whilst my work was in progress because any later than u would not have had the time to do so and also gave me a chance to make my work that much better than it already was. This heavily informed my product becuase i was able to act upon feedback and make my work better.


Overall, from AS to A2, i think i have improved significanltly in terms of research and planning, and how they inform my productions. At AS i could have widened my planning and research skills to inform my product better for example, using questionaires for my target audience, and getting feedback along the way. At A2, i used a stroryboard, used a questionnaire and got feedback whilst i was working. This shows that my research and planning skills have improved over the two years. At A2 the expectation is higher and i think that i have met this expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment